We are learning of a story involving a vehicle that was fleeing from law enforcement and another vehicle that has left a person critically injured. The crash occurred on the evening of February 233 at the intersection of 85th Street and Holmes Road. Police say that they attempted to pull over a black Chevy Cruz but the car sped away. The officers decided not to pursue the vehicle, but the Cruz continued fleeing and failed to stop at a red stoplight. That was when it struck a Volkswagen that was heading west on 85th. The driver of the Volkswagen suffered life-threatening injuries.
The driver of the Cruz then tried to flee the scene again but was apprehended by police.
At Mayer & Rosenberg, P.C., this crash highlights the unpredictability of the roadways. Regardless of how safely you operate your vehicle, there is no way to predict the negligence and careless behavior of other drivers. When you need a Kansas City car accident attorney, call us today.
How These Crashes Occur
We realize the not everyone is going to end up in an accident with a driver fleeing from police. Instances like that are rare. However, vehicle accidents are not rare. For the latest reporting year in Missouri, there were:
- 158,015 total vehicle crashes
- 947 people killed in crashes
- 57,811 people injured in crashes
There are many cases in which nobody is to blame for a crash, but more often than not, driver error plays a factor. Accidents occur due to:
- Distracted driving – drivers often get caught up reading their text messages or watching videos. Sometimes it is something as simple as checking GPS directions. Regardless of the distraction, this means that a driver is taking their eyes off of the roadway.
- Impaired drivers – whether a driver is impaired by drugs or alcohol, a driver should not operate while they are intoxicated. Drunk drivers are responsible for a high percentage of fatal and injury crashes in Missouri.
- Speeding and aggressive drivers – so many people think nothing of driving over the speed limit, but speed is a contributing factor in more crashes than any other cause.
Injuries from vehicle accidents can be incredibly costly. The medical expenses, even for minor injuries, can quickly add up to thousands of dollars. For serious injuries, the costs can send people into financial ruin. All too often, insurance companies do not offer enough in a settlement to cover all of the crash-related expenses.
What Happens Now
We know that the last thing you wanted to deal with was an injury caused by a negligent driver. At Mayer & Rosenberg, P.C., we want to help make sure you get the compensation you deserve. Our knowledgeable and experienced team will work diligently to secure coverage for your medical expenses, lost income if you miss work, loss of enjoyment of life damages, as well as possible punitive damages. If you need a Kansas City car accident attorney, you can contact us for a free consultation by clicking here or calling 816-941-8949.