Getting into a vehicle accident is not something anyone wants to think about, but there are some things you can do in the aftermath of a crash that will make it easier to get the insurance settlement you deserve. First, we want to look at the vehicle accident statistics from the state of Missouri to figure out if this is even a major concern.
For the latest reporting year, the state saw more than 153,000 total accidents. Out of those, there were more than 57,000 people injured.
- 923 people lost their lives.
Vehicle accidents are a major concern in this state. We know that driver errors are a major contributor to accidents, particularly those who speed, drive while impaired, or drive distracted. At Mayer & Rosenberg, P.C., we are here when you need a Kansas City car accident attorney. Our knowledgeable and experienced team will work to ensure that you get the compensation you deserve.
Steps You Can Take
We need to begin by saying that we know you may be tempted to put all of this behind you and speak with insurance companies quickly. This is what they want you to do. Insurance companies will record your statements and look for ways to pay as little as possible. This can even mean they say that your injuries were not caused by the accident. Please do not speak with insurance companies before seeking advice from an attorney.
- Always seek medical treatment if you are injured or suspect you are injured. In the aftermath of a crash when your adrenaline is pumping, you may not even notice you are injured until later. If you go to the ER or doctor hours or even days later, the insurance company may claim your injuries did not occur in the accident.
- Take pictures of the scene of the accident if you can. Get photos of the damages and the surrounding area. After the wreck is cleaned up, the evidence is gone for good.
- Listen to your doctor and ensure that you follow the prescribed treatment plan. This includes going to any follow up visits. This helps establish that your injuries are indeed affecting your day-to-day life.
- Get copies of all reports related to the crash. This includes all medical reports and police report.
- Seek legal assistance as soon as possible after an accident so your attorney can begin helping you through this process.
What Happens Now?
Do not worry if you were not able to follow all of the steps above. No two vehicle accidents are the same and we can help you through the process. At Mayer & Rosenberg, P.C., we want to make sure you get all the compensation you deserve in the aftermath of a crash that was caused by another person’s negligence. This includes coverage of your medical expenses as well as other hidden costs like lost income and pain and suffering damages. When you need a car accident attorney in Kansas City, you can contact us for a free consultation by clicking here or calling 816-941-8949.