We have hit that time of year when millions of parents rush out to find the hottest toys on the market, the ones their kids have been watching on YouTube videos and want so badly. As parents, we do this because we cannot wait to see their faces on Christmas morning when they open up the gifts under the tree. Unfortunately, this is also the time of year we hear the most about recalls of unsafe toys.
The US Consumer Protection Safety Commission says that there are an estimated 254,200 toy-related injuries in the latest full reporting year. While the commission says that most toys are safe, you should always check the latest recalls to make sure what you are buying is safe.
At Mayer & Rosenberg, P.C., we know that toys are just one kind of product that can cause consumers harm. In fact, there are hundreds of products under recall right now and most of them are not toys. If you need a Kansas City product liability attorney, you can count on us to be there for you.
There are many ways in which the products we use can cause us harm, but we find that most of them arise in one of the following ways:
- Poorly Designed – not all products are thoroughly tested before they are put on the market. This can lead to a poor design that ends up causing harm to consumers.
- Manufacturing Problem – even if a product is well designed, it could see that design is altered during manufacturing. This could make a product unsafe for use.
- Improper Labeling – this includes not warning consumers of all hazards associated with a product (choking hazards, burn hazards, medication side effects, allergens present). This also includes not putting the appropriate dosage requirements on a medication.
A look at the government website responsible for tracking current recalls will show us that there are many products that are on the market with defects. Many of the current recalls have to do with:
- Undeclared allergens in foods
- Tainted cosmetics
- Furniture that can tip over
Most of the products we use and consume are safe, but when they cause us harm, the people responsible for putting the faulty product on the market should be held accountable for their actions.
What Are Your Options
If you or a loved one have been injured or gotten ill due to a product you have purchased, consider seeking legal advice immediately. At Mayer & Rosenberg, P.C., our knowledgeable and experienced team is ready to step in and handle the process of recovering compensation for your injury or illness.
We know that faulty products can be devastating and that the companies at fault will put up a fight. So will we. We want to make sure all of your expenses are covered. When you need a Kansas City product liability attorney, you can contact us for a free consultation by clicking here or calling 816-941-8949.