Large commercial trucks operate regularly on the roadways in and around Kansas City. However, accidents involving these vehicles can lead to serious injuries for those in passenger vehicles. Here, the team at Mayer & Rosenberg, P.C. wants to discuss how these accidents occur and ways they can be prevented. Our Kansas City truck accident lawyers are ready to help victims in these cases.
These incidents are not uncommon
It is an unfortunate reality that accidents with large trucks occur fairly regularly. According to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), we can see that there were approximately 148,000 people injured and more than 4,700 fatalities due to large truck accidents during the latest reporting year in the US.
Looking more closely at the statistics from the Missouri Department of Public Safety, we can see that there were approximately 13,000 crashes involving commercial vehicles (a total that includes heavy trucks). These crashes caused more than 4,000 injuries and led to 122 fatalities.
Some causes of truck accidents
Some of the main causes of truck accidents include truck driver error, loose cargo, and truck failure.
- Truck drivers sometimes operate while distracted, impaired, or fatigued.
- There are times truck drivers or truck companies fail to properly secure the cargo on the vehicle. This can lead to objects falling off on the roadway.
- Improperly maintained trucks can fail on the roadway, causing the truck driver to lose control of the vehicle.
Preventing these accidents
There are several steps passenger car drivers can take to avoid accidents with large trucks. This includes the following:
- Avoiding blind spots. It is vital that drivers do not operate in a trucker’s blind spots. Every side of a truck has a blind spot, and a general rule of thumb is that if you cannot see the driver in their mirrors, they cannot see you.
- Do not follow closely. Do not follow a truck too closely. If a trucker makes a sudden stop, your vehicle can end up underneath the back of the large truck. This can shear off the top of a passenger vehicle.
- Remain vigilant. Keep your eyes open and operate with caution around large trucks. Be aware that tires could fly off of the vehicle and strike your car. Also, watch for cargo that could fly off of a truck and cause an accident.
Let us get to work on your case today
If you or somebody you care about has been injured in an accident with a large commercial truck, you may be entitled to compensation. The team at Mayer & Rosenberg, P.C. has extensive experience handling these cases and is ready to help you secure the compensation you need. This can include:
- All of your medical expenses related to the crash
- Lost income if you cannot work
- Pain and suffering damages
- Loss of enjoyment of life damages
- Possible punitive damages against the truck driver or company