How to Settle an Auto Accident When I Was At Fault?
If you or somebody you care about has been involved in a car accident. At Mayer & Rosenberg, P.C. contact our car accident lawyers today for help regarding your case.
Logo 816-941-8949
9229 Ward Pkwy,Suite 260,Kansas City, MO 64114
Get Your Free Consultation
816-941-8949

How to Settle an Auto Accident When I Was At Fault?

Posted on

Getting into a car accident can be scary, regardless of who was at fault for the incident. Many people wonder what they should do in the aftermath of a car accident in which they were at fault. The team at Mayer & Rosenberg, P.C. wants you to know these incidents are not always so cut and dry. You may even be entitled to compensation even if you were partially at fault. Contact our Kansas City car accident lawyers today for help regarding your case.

If you were truly at fault for a crash

People make mistakes, particularly when driving. If you have been in a car accident that you caused, that is okay. There is a reason that the state requires every driver to carry insurance. If you were at fault for an incident, the other parties involved will likely be filing claims against your insurance carrier for property damage and injury expenses. In these cases, your insurance carrier will be responsible for settling the matter with the injured parties.

However, it is often the case that more than one party was responsible for a car accident.

Understanding Missouri’s comparative negligence laws

The law in Missouri stipulates a pure comparative fault system when it comes to car accidents. This is used to determine how damages incurred in an accident will be divided amongst all parties involved. In a pure comparative negligence system, an injured person can receive compensation from the other party regardless of how much they contributed to the incident. In these cases, the damages a person receives will be reduced based on how much they contributed to the incident.

For example, suppose that the plaintiff (the person suing for damages) is awarded $100,000 for their losses, but they were 30% at fault for the incident. In this case, they would receive only $70,000 in total damages.

Now suppose you were primarily at fault for an incident. Even if you were 90% at fault for a crash, but sustained $100,000 in damages, you could still receive $10,000 in compensation because the other party was 10% at fault.

Missouri’s laws in these cases are more relaxed than states that operate a modified comparative negligence system. In those systems, plaintiffs can only receive damages if they are found to be less than 50% at fault for the incident.

Let us get to work on your behalf

If you or somebody you care about has been involved in a car accident, you may need to seek assistance from an attorney as soon as possible. Car accident cases can become complicated, particularly when working to determine liability. Even if you were partially at fault for the incident, you could be entitled to recover some compensation, including:

  • Coverage of your medical bills
  • Compensation for lost income
  • Pain and suffering damages
  • Loss of enjoyment of life damages

Do not let insurance companies tell you that you are not entitled to compensation until you speak with an attorney at Mayer & Rosenberg, P.C. You can contact our Kansas City car accident lawyers for a free consultation by clicking here or calling 816-941-8949.

Share Us With

Let Us Guide You on the Path to a Fair & Full Recovery

The information on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.